Originating in the Southern Tier in New York in the 1930s, spiedies have become a summertime favorite. Tasty and simple, this marinated meat can go from grill to plate in as little as 10 minutes, making it a perfect dish for after work, a busy weekend or really, any time! We found this recipe on the Taste of Home website, and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 ½ pounds meat of choice (such as beef, chicken, lamb or pork)
- Buns or rolls of choice
- Combine all ingredients but meat in a large glass or plastic bowl. Add meat, toss to coat, cover and marinate 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat from marinade; discard any remaining marinade. Thread meat onto skewers (tip – soak wood skewers in water so they don’t burn as easily.) Grill over medium heat, covered, until meat is done, usually 10-15 minutes. Remove meat from skewers and serve on buns or rolls if desired. If you’re carb-conscious, the meat is also great served on a tossed salad.