With warmer weather here, and Memorial Day on the way, people are starting to think about outdoor fun. Picnics, parades and barbecues are all a part of the celebration, and that means good times with good friends – and good food! This year, why not treat your barbecue guests to a delicious dessert treat that celebrates the red, white and blue? A spin on classic strawberry shortcake, this mixed berry rendition is sure to be a hit at your Memorial Day cookout, and any other time of the year!
Mixed Berry Shortcake (Serves 8)
Ingredients – Berries & Topping
- ¼ pound raspberries
- ¼ pound strawberries
- ½ pound blueberries
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients – Biscuits
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup well-shaken buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
Directions – Berries & Topping
- Wash and hull berries, halving any large ones. Place berries in large bowl and drizzle with honey. Toss to combine. Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve, at least one hour and up to one day.
- Pour cream into bowl, beat with mixer on medium-high speed until thickened. Add confectioner’s sugar, beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Directions – Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Let berries come to room temperature.
- Whisk together flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and oil. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moistened without over-mixing. Drop batter in 8 mounds, 3 tbsp. each, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, or about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Using serrated knife, halve biscuits. Place bottom halves on individual plates; top each with about 1/3 cup of the berries and juices, and a dollop of whipped topping. Cover with top halves of biscuits and serve.
And, when you work with Family Danz for all of you plumbing needs, we think you’ll be “berry” satisfied. Need some kitchen plumbing help? Just give us a call at (518) 427-8685. We’ll help you find the solution that best suits your needs.