May is in full swing, and even though spring has been a bit rainy and chilly this year, summer will be here before we know it. Is your home ready for the warmer weather ahead? Now is the time to make sure you have everything in order before the lazy, hazy days of summer arrive.
Here are seven things you can do right now to make sure you’re prepared.
- Spring-clean your windows. Clean your windows inside and out, and while you’re at it, make sure you inspect your windows and screens for any wear and tear they may have endured over the winter months. Check your window seals and weather stripping to make sure there aren’t any gaps or damage. Be sure to clean your screens, too. Just a mild detergent and mist from the hose will do – harsh chemicals and pressure washing can damage them.
- Get your mower running. Check your lawn equipment, making sure it’s clean and in good working order. Giving your mowers and trimmers a good tune-up in the spring will make your yard maintenance much easier once the warmer weather arrives. If you’re not sure how to maintain your equipment, don’t hesitate to call a professional – taking care of your equipment properly will save you money in the long run.
- Perform a quick home inspection. Look for cracked or missing shingles, rusted flashing, or any issues with pipes or your chimney. Check your home’s exterior for any dirt, mold growth or peeling paint. A word of caution – climbing up on your roof can be dangerous, so if you notice any issues from the ground, you may want to call in a professional to take a closer look.
- Clean gutters. Damaged or clogged gutters and downspouts can cause water damage if they’re not properly maintained. Again, when you do this you should proceed with caution or hire a pro to do it for you. If you do it yourself, make sure you have a helper, the right tools to get the job done, and that your ladder is sturdy and safe.
- Give your attic a look-see. A lot can happen in your attic over the winter months. Animals may have taken up residence there during the cold winter months. Squirrels, bats and mice often nest in homes during the winter, and that means they leave behind debris and droppings that can cause issues. Make sure to wear a mask and gloves if you find yourself cleaning up after critters. Look around for possible areas where animals may have gained entry, and seal them off. Also make sure there are no wet areas – that can indicate a leak in your roof – or any obstructions to vent pipes. Finally, check your insulation. If it seems like it has compacted, consider adding more – it helps keep your home comfortable and more energy efficient.
- Check out your yardscape. Is everything you need for summer relaxation in great shape? Check out your outdoor furniture for any damage, rust, cracking or splintering. Give it a thorough cleaning. Keep the kids safe, too – check outdoor toys, sandboxes, and playground equipment for any wear and tear. Next, be ready to barbecue by getting your grill clean. Make sure the grill’s gas hoses are all in good working order, and refresh your propane tank if needed.
- Call Family Danz! We can help you make sure your home is ready for summer by inspecting your air conditioning system and your outdoor plumbing. We’ll provide you with the preventive maintenance you need for your cooling system, so you can count on it running smoothly and efficiently all summer long. If you notice your outdoor hoses and spigots have a slow flow or trickle, there could be some problems with your pipes – don’t forget we offer complete plumbing services, too!
Need air conditioning and plumbing maintenance in order to get your home summer-ready? Family Danz is ready to help. Just give us a call at 518.427.8685 and we will be more than happy to schedule an appointment with you.