People who have hard water in their homes often just deal with it as a part of life. They may not realize the extent of their hard water problem, or they may not be aware of the detrimental effects that can be caused by hard water. If you’re unsure if you have hard water in your home, there are telltale signs that can help you know. In a study performed by the University of Kentucky, researchers outlined ways homeowners can tell if hard water in their home is a problem, and gave some reasons why installing a water softener may be helpful.
First of all, what is hard water, exactly? Hard water is household water that has more than 120 parts per million of water impurities such as sulfates, chlorides, carbonates and bicarbonates present. These compounds can cause scale, buildup and eventually, damages. It’s likely that you have hard water if you’re experiencing:
- Laundry concerns. If you have hard water, your clothes may look dingy, your whites may appear grey or yellowed, and fabrics feel scratchy and uncomfortable.
- Spotty dishware. If you’ve noticed spots on your glasses and dishes, hard water could be the culprit. If you need to use a lot of dish soap to get suds, that’s a symptom of hard water, too.
- Shower conundrums. Do your glass shower doors, basins and tubs have a scaly buildup? Does your showerhead not flow properly? Then you probably have hard water issues.
- Appliance problems. Water heaters start to falter when they get clogged with the sediment and scale hard water causes. Same goes for other household appliances, like humidifiers, coffee makers and dishwashers.
- High utility bills. When scale builds up on the heating element of appliances such as water heaters, it takes more energy to create the needed hot water – costing you more on your energy bills.
If these problems are cause for concern in your home, then it may be time to consider a solution. You can reduce the water hardness in your home by installing a water softener. There are many different types available that can help you and your family enjoy better water in your home. There are many advantages to installing a water softener, including cleaner, softer clothing, less usage of household cleaning products like laundry detergent and dish soap, reduced use of personal care products like shower gel and shampoo, and longer life for appliances like washing machines, coffee makers, dishwashers and water heaters.
The study cautions that homeowners considering the purchase and installation of a water softener should “buy only from a reputable dealer.” That’s where Family Danz can help. We’ve been working with people on their home comfort needs since 1976, and we want to help you get the softened water you need for your home. Our plumbing technicians have been specially trained to help with any plumbing concern you may have, including hard water problems. We serve Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and the surrounding areas. Call us at (518) 427-8685 and we’ll help you find the right solution to your hard water problems.