September is a great time for apples in New York State. Many people enjoy going apple picking with their family, and you can count on fresh, crisp apples at your grocery store. As the weather starts to cool down a bit, firing up the oven and baking a sweet, spicy dessert can certainly lift the senses, especially when it tastes just as delicious as it smells! This apple crisp recipe not only tastes great, but it’s easy to make, too. So you won’t have to save it for a special occasion – it’s the perfect anytime after-dinner dessert this fall! Just a few simple ingredients, and you’re ready to enjoy one of autumn’s favorite flavors.
Apple Crisp with Oat Topping
For the filling:
- 6 apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Toss apples with granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon in medium bowl to coat; pour into 9-inch square baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar, oats, flour and 1 tsp. cinnamon in separate bowl. Use pastry cutter or two forks to mash cold butter into the oats mixture until coarse crumbs form. Spread over apples to edges of baking dish, and pat to evenly distribute.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
For an extra treat, you can serve this dish warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce! Another great way to warm up is to make sure your furnace is running properly. Before the cold weather hits, call Family Danz to help with your fall preventive maintenance needs. Simply call us at (518) 427-8685, and we’ll be more than happy to help you with your furnace needs – and help you finish off that apple crisp!