With cooler weather on the way, your thoughts might be turning to how you can save some money on heating your home. Most homeowners budget for heating costs, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to make your home more efficient. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to help save fuel – and save money on your utility bills.
Five Ways You Can Improve Your Home Heating Efficiency
- Check your insulation. If your home’s insulation isn’t up to par, it can definitely affect your comfort level. Having adequate insulation is important, because it helps keep your home warmer in the winter – and cooler in the summer. It helps your home comfort system operate more effectively and efficiently, too, because it doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home at a comfortable level.
- Make sure doors and windows are sealed. Drafty doors and windows mean the outside air is making its way inside. It also means that your heated air is making its way outside! Seal up any gaps around your windows and door frame areas with caulk or foam sealant, and insulate windows and door jambs with weather stripping.
- Consider spaces in your home that lack ductwork. If you regularly use a space in your home that lacks ductwork, you might find yourself turning up the heat to keep that space warm. Some people opt for a space heater to help, but a more effective, efficient solution could be a ductless unit for that space. Ductless requires no installation of additional air ducts, and can keep the space warm in the winter – and cool in the summer!
- Think about installing a smart thermostat. There are many varieties of programmable and smart thermostats on the market today. Some even have the technology to “learn” your family’s habits, like when you leave home for the day or go to bed, and will adjust the temperature accordingly. Much more than a convenient, high-tech gadget, however; a smart thermostat can help your home become more energy efficient.
- If your heating equipment is old, consider replacing. Advances are made in home heating systems all the time – ones that help make them more efficient and leave behind a smaller carbon footprint. If you’re due for a replacement, there are many choices available that can offer you 95 percent efficiency and higher. Your HVAC company can help you determine the best heating system for your needs, and can likely help you save money, too.
Family Danz Fuel Service can help you get the fuel you need.
When you choose Family Danz for your home fuel needs, you can count on us to provide you with the lowest possible price, guaranteed. We sell only premium grade fuel, and we will meet any price you may find that is lower. To learn more about our oil delivery services and how we can help you save, simply call us at 518.427.8685. We’ll be happy to help you stay warm all season long.