July is definitely the month for backyard barbecues, cookouts and picnics. The warm weather has everyone going outside to celebrate, and chances are you and your family will be joining in on the fun, festivities and food too. If you’re looking for a great dessert recipe that will be the hit of the next outdoor get-together you either host or attend, then look no further than this unique icebox pie recipe from Southern Living. Simple to make ahead, everyone is sure to love this delicious, summer-inspired treat!
Strawberry-Pretzel Icebox Pie
- 2 cups finely crushed pretzel sticks
- ¾ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ 8-oz package softened cream cheese
- 4 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Stir together first three ingredients, Press firmly on bottom, sides and lip of lightly greased 10” pie plate. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven, place plate on wire rack and cool completely.
- Process strawberries in food processor until finely chopped. You can do this by hand if you don’t have a food processor, just be sure they are very finely chopped.
- Beat condensed milk, cream cheese, and gelatin at medium speed until smooth. Add chopped strawberries, and beat at low speed until blended. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat ¾ cup whipping cream at high speed until soft peaks form; gently fold whipped cream into berry mixture. Spoon into prepared crust. Cover and freeze 8-10 hours or until firm.
- Beat remaining 1¼ cups whipping cream at high speed until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie, and freeze one hour or until whipped cream is firm.
While this delicious pie is one way you can cool down this summer, don’t forget to call Family Danz to help you with your cooling needs. Whether you have central AC, ductless or even a heat pump system, we can help you make the most of your home comfort system and help you stay comfortable no matter how hot it gets outside! Just give us a call at 518.427.8685 and we’ll be happy to assist you!