When the snow starts to fly, chances are your boiler and furnace start to work a little overtime, too. And that can mean an increase in your heating bills – which is never ideal at the holidays, when you’d rather use your money in other ways. But, according to the Alliance to Save Energy, there are ways you and your family can experience comfort and joy this holiday season (and all winter long) without having to deal with a frightful increase in your home comfort bills. Here are five ways you can conserve energy – and stay toasty warm!
- Go green with your decorations. Most people like to display some lights during the holidays, but powering those twinkling bulbs can get costly. Did you know that most holiday lights nowadays come in LED form, which use up to 90 percent less energy than their incandescent counterparts and last up to 40 years?
- Take care of leaks. Did you know that you could save on your heating bills just by sealing up drafty, leaky areas of your home? Places where the warm air leaks out – and the cold air blows in – are often in areas around windows, chimneys, recessed lighting and doors. You can save 20 percent on heating costs this way.
- Give your heating system the gift of annual maintenance. You can do simple tasks, like changing your furnace filter on your own, but for the heavy lifting side of furnace or boiler maintenance, you’ll want to call in professionals like Family Danz Heating & Cooling to help you with your heating system maintenance Annual maintenance helps you improve system efficiency – which means savings on your energy bills.
- Choose a smart thermostat. In today’s world, your thermostat can do the thinking for you! There are thermostats you can easily control from your computer or smart phone – so even when you’re away from home, you can control the temperature. That will help you save energy and utility costs. Family Danz can help you choose the right thermostat for your home, and program it for maximum comfort and efficiency.
- Let the sunshine in. Letting the sun in your home on even the chilliest of winter days can help you home stay warmer. Open your curtains to let the sun in your home during the day to warm up your home, and then close the curtains at night when it gets cooler outside to help keep the warmer air in.
At Family Danz, we can help you keep your home warm all winter long. We’ll help you understand your home’s energy usage, and we’ll suggest ways you can save money on your home’s energy bills now and for winters to come. If your equipment is old or in need of costly repairs, we can help you get s new high efficiency gas furnace that will allow you to save money and stay comfortable, no matter how chilly the weather might get. To learn more about how we can help, simply call us at (518) 427-8685 and we will be more than happy to assist you.